Pages

Sunday 10 March 2013

ADVICE:Beware if you are using your daddy's laptop


Okay! I admit that title of my post does not look like an advice but rather a warning. Well whatever...
 
If you have ever used your father's laptop, there are sure shot chances that you found yourself in trouble later just because your father could not work well with the laptop. Especially if your father is not really a techy person, you are going to find yourself in steamy hot waters. There won't be any way to defend yourself even when you have done nothing wrong. You may listen arguments like...."why did you change my background. My word file isn't opening?". This sounds like a lame reasoning. (BTW I have exaggerated a little.) But still you may get to listen arguments that are abysmal and still there is no way to prove that you are right.
 
Recently I had such experience. Actually I have had it many times as far as desktop is concerned. But this time I tweaked with my father's office laptop. I did not do anything malicious. I just installed a simple downloader called Orbit Downloader. Now location of the downloaded files for IE was somewhere in C > USER > BLABLABLABLA> DOWNLOADS. As orbit was downloaded all the downloads were redirected to orbit and stored at different location. What more? He could not find his old download folder. This had put me in mess. I had no way to explain where that download folder had gone. Actually, it did not go anywhere. Just that its shortcut disappeared somehow.
 
I had also installed couple of freeware software which changed my default search engines and create some sneaky redirects. In short, I had tweaked the system.
 
Later, my father took his laptop to different city (Bhuj) where he has his job. He wanted to download something and it was not working the way he expected. Yes, you guessed it right - he yelled at me.
 
So here are the few tips that can save you:
 
  1. Just write down the changes that you make in the system. And don't install freeware utilities. They tend to have scuzzy stuff that we fail to notice because we never read their agreements.
  2. Know what you are doing. If you are not sure, avoid playing with your daddy's laptop.
  3. Learn about system restore point.
  4. Learn to format entire system. Don't forget to backup the data. Else you will be inviting more shouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment